Long-term exposure to natural elements and harsh weather can cause asphalt shingles to lose granules. These granules improve the aesthetic appeal of your roof and protect the shingles from the harmful effects of direct sunlight.
Asphalt shingles, however, can lose granules, which can be caused by any of the below reasons:
1. Granule Loss After Installation – Granule loss on newly installed roofs is normal, mainly due to when installers walked on the roof, causing some granules to become loose. However, if you have an older roof and see granule fallout, this can indicate roof wear or damage.
2. Granule Loss Due to Aging – Changing weather and temperatures affect the flexibility of the shingles. Granule loss typically occurs as your roof ages. You’ll notice that aged roofs have fewer granules, leaving huge bald spots on the surface.
3. Granule Loss Due to Faulty Roofing Product – Significant granule loss on newly installed asphalt roofs can indicate a manufacturing defect. Observe the roof if it’s changing color because of granule loss or if the shingles show any signs of damage. For superior roofing products and quality services, choose Elite Roofing Solutions. Our team is highly trained and are experts in handling issues with residential roofs.
4. Granule Loss From Blistered Shingles – Protrusions or blisters on the shingle surface can be a manufacturing defect. Foot traffic should be avoided on these shingles because they can develop pits.
5. Granule Loss Due to Foot Traffic – Walking on asphalt roofs can loosen the mineral granules embedded on the shingles. You may see bald spots on the roof on areas where there is lot of foot traffic.
Hire an experienced contractor for your roofing project like Elite Roofing Solutions to ensure your investment lasts long. We specialize in residential roof repair and replacement services. Call us at (855) 588-6610, or fill out our online form for a free roof inspection. We work with homeowners in Spring, TX.